Scarlett's Diary - 21st March 2054 - Prototype Envy

Forum for the various Shadowrun games that are run at club.

Moderator: Euphonium

Scarlett's Diary - 21st March 2054 - Prototype Envy

Postby Northern Fox » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Scarlett keeps a journal of her life. She doesn't update it every day - just when events happen that she thinks she might need to revisit later. So there can be large gaps between entries.

It is first person and has all the biases, misinterpretations and errors that you would expect in such a personal record of events. It is also uncompromising with what she thinks about things - and as a result sometimes not complimentary (and occasionally insulting) about other characters as a result. These are the opinions of the character - not the player.

Entries will be posted only once the timeline thread has passed the date of the end of the run.
Northern Fox
GM / Ref

Re: Scarlett's Diary - 21st March 2054 - Prototype Envy

Postby Northern Fox » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Sun Mar 21st 2054, Entry 859

I thought I’d break up tonight into two distinct entries as we finished off one job earlier and will be starting a second later tonight. How did this happen? Well we were in Lyle Green’s limousine en route to the Glass Onion, to drop me off before the others were taken back to THE Sports Bar to get their vehicles, when Arsenic got a phone call. It was Cog, his fixer, with an offer of work- if we could meet a Mr Johnson for nine o’clock, ready to go on a run.

As it was half past eight, and given our current state of lack of preparation to do a run immediately, we needed to know if we would be expected to go on the job immediately after the meeting or if there would be time between the two to equip ourselves. Sooty asked the driver to pull over for a minute while we got Arsenic to call Cog back and find this out. Unfortunately Cog told us that the job had to be done immediately after the meeting. We explained that we wouldn’t be able to go on a run immediately as things currently stood and asked if the meeting could be put back an hour to let us get equipped. Cog checked with the Johnson and confirmed that this would be alright so we asked him for the meeting specifics.

He told us to go to a specific section of the Space Needle car park in Downtown. We would be met there by a black Nightsky limousine which would flash it’s lights at us twice to identify itself. We will be meeting a Mr Brackhouse. It took me a second but I placed the name as the alias that Saeder-Krupp’s own Mr Johnsons use in Europe. I didn’t let the others know, as it wouldn’t have any relevance to them. Only Mover has operated outside America that I know about. While we travelled I phoned my date and cancelled, rescheduling for a couple of days time. I’ll have to make it up somehow. I wonder if he like Italian?

Dara was dropped off as we travelled, as she had a safe-house nearby, while Mover offered to give me a lift to and from my den once we got to THE Sports Bar. She knows about it already and it saves compromising it further. Once she dropped me off I slipped out of my dress and into a pullover and leggings, throwing my armoured jacket and forearm guards on over it, and a long coat over them. I threw one of my disposable Ares Predators and a spare clip into my holster and a med-kit into a pouch. I’ve also got my passkey on an elastic collar around my neck and gloves and a balaclava in my pockets.

So that’s it so far tonight. I’m waiting for Mover to return and then it’s to the pre-job brief. Not the way I planned to spend the night, but it’ll be fun.
Northern Fox
GM / Ref

Postby Northern Fox » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Sun Mar 21st 2054, Entry 860

I wasn’t expecting to make another journal entry tonight but we’ve got an hour before we need to get moving. Mover’s ensconced in a matrix café checking out what she can find so I thought I’d take advantage of the café part of it and get coffee for Dara and I while we wait. Dara’s in the van and I’m lurking outside, under cover from the rain, people watching. It’s amazing how many people are outside, despite the weather, desperate to enjoy themselves before the working week begins in a few hours.

Anyway, enough of my musings. We turned up to the car-park at ten to find Sooty had already arrived and was waiting for us by his bike, while Mortis was just parking up his van next to him. When Arsenic arrived a couple of minutes later, we all got out of our respective vehicles and took a look for the Nightsky. Most people were dressed non-descriptively and weren’t openly carrying weapons but I did notice that Dara had her sword-case with her and Arsenic was wearing a set of urban camos under his long coat.

We spotted the car nearby and I began to walk over. Arsenic followed, a few steps behind me, but rapidly caught up due to his longer stride. Once we were obviously walking towards it the car flashed it’s lights at us twice and pulled out to meet us. The others began to come over as the car pulled up next to me, and the passenger door swung open. I got inside and the others followed as they arrived.

Inside was furnished entirely in black leather with dim lighting decreasing the visibility further. A human male wearing an extremely expensive suit sat watching us as we embarked. He was in his thirties and good looking, with short dark hair and brown eyes. He was clean-shaven and had no visible cyber implants. I took a quick look at his aura while the others got inside and confirmed that he was a mundane. His aura itself was calm and confident, with minor traces of cyberware that I couldn’t pin down to anywhere in particular.

Once we were all inside the car began moving, though you could only tell if you looked out the window as it was so smooth a ride. Our host introduced himself as Hans Brackhouse, and yes he had a German accent though that doesn’t mean anything by itself. He told us that he needed recovery of some information and the associated documentation. The job has to be done tonight and we will have to return here with it by eight o’clock tomorrow morning. He would provide partial passkeys and uniforms and would prefer the job to be done quietly if possible. Payment is ten thousand Nu-Yen each with half up-front.

The target is a prototype of a piece of brain enhancement cyberware being developed by Silver Technologies, a small B-rated Corp, in Downtown. He reached under his seat to pull out a briefcase and pulled a map of the building out. Mover took it off him and held it out so we could all see it. He then produced six clip-on pass holders and blank passes, complete except for the photos, from the case and told us that we will be replacing the third shift cleaning crew. The passes contain the key-code data for all the locks that they have been able to acquire and will give us the access that the cleaners would normally have. I’m glad that I thought to bring along my own mag-lock override card; it might help out on those locks that they couldn’t acquire the codes to.

Security on the night shift is limited to three guards, who are all employees of Silver Technologies itself. As it is a B-rated company the guards are required to challenge someone before they shoot. However the do all have Lone Star panic buttons as well as their radios. Also there are no automatic sensors beyond current technologies in the building. Though Brackhouse made it clear that all of this was only to the best of his knowledge, and should not be taken as fact.

Having said all that, he pulled out a small camera from the briefcase and attached a photo printer to it. He then took photos of us all and printed them out before attaching them to the passes and handing the completed passes over one at a time. Looking at the details on the one I got I found out that I was masquerading as Gail Simmons. Mover was Charlene Grokken and Dara was Rachael Azeeler. Amongst the men, Arsenic became Michael Costello, Mortis was Tim Rasith and Sooty became Bob Flack.

Returning to the briefing, Brackhouse told us that the prototype is designated as CRM051998. We are to recover the prototype itself, which will be fairly small and as much documentation about it as possible. He’s not too concerned if we get copies or the originals as long as we get the documents. The prototype is being developed in a lab in an industrial park on the Auburn side of Downtown. It will be in one of the labs in the clean section of the building. I’m not sure what he meant by that but I believe that he means a hermetically sealed section. Sometimes it pays to do some general reading around on a subject, even if I can’t follow the science itself.

We will have to go in by the cleaner’s store around the side of the building, which leads to the loading dock, to keep our cover. Brackhouse also provided as with a copy of the cleaner’s schedule (of where they are required to clean) to help our cover. Finally he gave us each a cred-stick with our advance payment on it and the car was brought back to it’s starting point so we could disembark.

We had a brief discussion in Mover’s van and decided that we would take the Riggers’ vans and leave the other vehicles in the car park here. We passed out the sub-vocal com kits from the van to everyone except Mover, who has her own internal cyberware to do the job, and then split up and left. The men went with Mortis in his van while Dara and I went with Mover. And that brings us up to date. As we had an hour to kill before we needed to head over to Silver Technologies Mover decided to spend the time on-line getting what information she could about the building, while Dara and I are waiting and finding things to do nearby. Only quarter of an hour to go and then we’re moving and the job is on.
Northern Fox
GM / Ref

Postby Northern Fox » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Mon Mar 22nd 2054, Entry 861

Once Mover had finished on-line we headed over to Silver Technologies lab complex. There were more lights on then I expected, given the supposed staff. Mortis’s van was sitting in a bus stop near the entrance to the industrial park so we pulled in next to it and joined them for a conference. From here I could count about a dozen cars in the car park though I couldn’t see any cameras. Mover told us that she had discovered that security had been beefed up and that she wanted to go into a Matrix point to go on-line once we got inside. She wanted to be invisible to avoid detection so Arsenic put an invisibility spell into a sustaining focus he had and passed it over to her.

We arranged things so it looked as if Dara was driving and headed around to the cleaner’s entrance by the loading bay. There was one guard there, quietly having a cigarette, as we pulled up. He waved at us as Dara faked lighting a cigarette. There were no signs of any astral observers as Dara talked to me through the open van door, holding it open to allow the invisible Mover out.

The lights came on, operated by a movement sensor, as we all headed into the cleaner’s store. We sorted out equipment first. Mortis took the ride-on floor polisher, Sooty took the vacuum cleaner and Dara took the trolley, in order to hide her sword. There were lockers for all of our aliases, which contained a variety of sizes of coveralls in a bright orange. We each selected the one in the nearest size to us and put them on, bantering for a few minutes and hiding Mover from the camera, while she hacked into the building security system via the electronic door lock. Dara was talking in a mock Texas drawl for fun, thankfully she didn’t have to keep it up for long.

The guard waved us through as we left the loading bay for the main building. Mortis started the brushes on the polisher as we went down the corridor, and Dara commented sotto voice that if anyone said “nuts” she would throw a stun ball at the closest target. Two trolls and two orcs were busy packing crates from things that two humanoid walker robots were retrieving from shelves for them in the packing room as we passed. While two elves and two orcs wearing clean suits were packing things in the clean packing room next to it. Neither of these was on the cleaning schedule though I made note of the location of the clean packing room just in case the prototype was in there.

We were in the main corridor when Mover came on the radio, having got the guard’s locations. She wanted us to take out all the guards simultaneously. As a result we split up, each heading for where Mover told us a guard could be found. Arsenic headed back for the one in the loading bay while Dara headed to the front lobby where three guards were, planning to take them out with stun ball spells. I headed over to the far side of the building where a guard was talking with two nurses, taking a mop and bucket with me. Sooty went for a guard in a corridor near the lobby while Mortis went after the guard in the open-plan security station in the inner lobby. As I crossed the building I heard Mover radio to Sooty that there were two more guards in the room behind him. His response was to tell her to stick with the plan.

My guard was good, he recognised something was going on as I approached and mana bolted him. Unfortunately for him he wasn’t fast enough and went down. I pulled my pistol on the nurses and held them there while the others all radioed in one after the other that they had had success. When I related my position Dara came down to help me out and stun balled them unconscious. We dragged them and the dead guard to the chief executive’s office, which Sooty had decided to use as a dumping ground as it only had one entrance and was empty, and stripped them of their passes and weapons.

Mover had managed to overcome the matrix security and was taking over all the building systems. She had found a room with a hologram of a brain in it on the cameras and asked us to check it out. She gave us the location and Mortis and I went to check it out, taking a guard’s and a nurse’s pass with us. Meanwhile Dara and Arsenic went around finding other people in the building and stunning them, while Sooty guarded the guards and checked out the chief executives office for anything relevant.

The guard’s pass opened the door to the brain room. Inside there were a lot of computer stations around the sides of the room, while the centre was dominated by a large hologram of a human brain. One section of the hologram had an implant highlighted on it in red. It only took Mortis a few seconds to confirm that this was the prototype implant that we were after. The hologram claimed the patient was in REM sleep and a nearby monitor showed a human man asleep in a room. I told the others what we had discovered and then we began searching the room. Mortis quickly found a status log on the computers that said that the implant had been installed a week ago because of good results in tests. The nursing and security shifts had been upgraded to cover twenty-four hours as a result. I found a paper notebook belonging to a Doctor Bishop containing speculations on why versions 1 to 3 of the implant hadn’t worked that I pocketed.

We had just found a note saying that a new mainframe had been installed the day before yesterday when an alarm went off. Something had happened to the patient. We quickly confirmed that Dara had just stun-bolted him through the window on his door, as part of her check on everyone in the building. We began downloading copies of everything we could onto chips and were doing this when the door suddenly locked. Mover asked who was in the room and we found out that she had missed us coming into the room, despite the fact that she had asked us to do so. Somehow it is reassuring to know that even as Mover was trying to become the “God in the Building Machinery” and oversee everything things were slipping through her fingers. It restores my faith in human fallibility.

Mover sent out a call asking who is in the security centre and then asked Mortis and I to leave the download to her and help the search for stragglers. We were told to go to the change-rooms and through them to the clean rooms where some of the staff were now realising that they were locked in. The female change-room was empty when I got there, though Mortis got to the male change-room before me and met up with Dara and Arsenic, who were taking care of the people that Mover had mentioned.

As we were leaving I collared Arsenic and got him to help me take out the test subject (after we had disconnected him from his monitors) to Mortis’s van. I didn’t want to take Mover’s as if we did so we would have to get her disconnected from the computer to do so. I got Mortis to give me his keys and switch off the thumbprint recognition on his van while Dara retrieved the hard copy of the data that Mover had located in the library, several files worth of stuff.

When Dara, Arsenic and I had finished loading everything into Mortis’s van, and had grabbed the data chips that we had all downloaded, I drove us to the Space Needle. The others finished the looting that they were doing and Mover removed all records of us from the system before initiating a system wide purge before following. We all left the building before two o’clock.

While we were underway I got Arsenic to call Cog and get him to call Brackhouse and tell him that we were heading to the rendezvous point with his items. I stuck to the speed limits all the way there, as I didn’t want to risk a crash and I wasn’t familiar with the vehicle. As a result the others caught us up before we got to the Space Needle’s car park. When we got there the limousine was waiting and flashed it’s lights at us as we got out. Mover came over to check the patient and Mortis headed over to check his van as the limo came over to us. It parked behind us so that we could transfer everything over from the van and in through it’s side door, out of sight of any cameras. We passed the patient and the files over and Dara, Mover and I got inside.

Brackhouse looked the patient over and seemed surprised that we had brought him a body rather than just a piece of cyberware in vacuum packing. We explained that Silver Technologies had speeded up their schedule and implanted the prototype as he looked over the paper records and pulled up bits of information from the data chips. He seemed satisfied with what he found and pleasantly surprised when Mover told him had she had also got the advance purchase customer list. He passed out cred-sticks with the rest of our payment to each of us and, once we had exited the car, drove off.

With that we went our separate ways. Sooty went to fence all the loot (guns, ammo, and armoured jackets) that they had picked up tonight. Mover kept the gurney for her ambulance. While I took up Dara’s offer to go clubbing for a few hours and then into bed as the sun rose. We’ll meet up again in a couple of days once Sooty has got the loot cashed.
Northern Fox
GM / Ref

Return to Shadowrun